Thursday 16 March 2017

Who Will Teach me to Wonder

Thinking about the impossibility of understanding the Hok of Shabbat Parah and falling in love with Psalm 119:27
דֶּֽרֶךְ־פִּקּוּדֶ֥יךָ הֲבִינֵ֑נִי וְ֝אָשִׂ֗יחָה בְּנִפְלְאוֹתֶֽיךָ׃
I can't really translate it properly (yet), something like
Bring me to understand the path of what you demand of me and I will chat with your mysteries
Malbim points out the importance of it being the PATH of the precepts. It is, for Malbim the path up Mount Sinai, beyond human understanding.
And I love the reward, to be in 'siach' - conversation - with ultimate mystery.
It's not a verse I've ever really considered before - comes in that monstrously long Psalm you just want to skip over. But I think I've just stumbled over my new favourite articulation of my relationship with Mitzvot.
And how did I stumble over this jewel in the rough?
I googled, 'who will teach me to wonder' and this verse, courtesy of some angel buried in Google's algorithm waved their wand.
So I post the story on-line
Ahhh, the life of a C21 Rabbi.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...